Safety, Health, Opportunity and Practice (SHOP) is a new partner program between Mission Oaks and the Health Education Council. For questions about this program, please contact Health Education Council directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
SWANSTON COMMUNITY CENTER COHORT: Starts February 15th
WHAT WE DO:
SHOP was created to serve as a community resource aiming to improve academic outcomes, increase access to public health and social services, reduce disparities, increase communication and build resilience, and reduce negative encounters with law enforcement in distressed neighborhoods.
Youth learn communication skills, anger management techniques, health and nutrition, stress reduction/coping mechanisms, job readiness, and gain exposure to opportunities such as internships and job shadowing.
SHOP is a 6-week lesson and paid program. Youth participants will explore:
- YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIE TO KICK IT: COMBATING PEER PRESSURE
- HANDS UP, GUNS DOWNS: DEESCALATION & CONFLICT MANAGEMENT
- KN0W YOUR RIGHTS: LAW ENFORCEMENT INTERACTION
- SKILLS PAY THE BILLS: VOCATIONAL EDUCATION
- MY BODY IS MY GYM: CALISTHENICS/BODYWEIGHT TRAINING
- IT TAKES A VILLAGE: COMMUNITY BUILDING
Students who complete the entire program without unexcused absences will receive a $200 stipend!
More info available at https://healthedcouncil.org/what-we-do/programs/neighborhood-safety/shop.html