Under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator, the Recreation Leader works with a team to oversee a group of students, assisting with the homework help component and providing enrichment and recreational activities.
Location: Swanston Community Center
- Responsible for leading a daily activity group and keeping participants engaged at all times.
- Responsible for inventory and orderliness of program equipment/supplies/storage areas.
- Prepares the room or space for program each day; has all supplies ready for activities.
- Distribute snack and assist with concessions.
- Maintain records, and complete all reports as necessary in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with and uphold after-school program behavior policies and safety procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, training and workshops.
- Responsible for notifying and reporting any problems or concerns of parents and/or children to the Recreation Coordinator.
- Market program at schools and special events; help to recruit participants.
- Perform other after-school program related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Ability to work with individuals or groups of children from ages 5 years old and older; Basic knowledge of children’s' games and recreation activities; Effective oral communication skills; Ability to lead physical, recreational and leisure activities; Ability to exercise good judgment; Ability to work independently and constructively contribute to a collaborative team.
Strength, mobility, stamina to bend, stretch, stand, kneel, walk, stoop, lift, carry push or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 30% standing and 50% walking or active.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be at least 17 to apply, with previous experience working with children (volunteer work, babysitting, etc.). Must possess a basic understanding of elementary math and language. Must be fluent in English; Spanish skills a plus.
HOURS AND PAY RATE:
10-20 hours per week
Generally: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday from 2:00PM – 6:30PM; Thursday 1:00PM – 6:30PM
(Modified hours for training and other meetings when necessary)
Hourly rate: $14 per hour as of January 1, 2021
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a seasonal position.
State law requires that applicant selected for the position must complete fingerprint process to check for or verify conviction record; TB test clearance also required.
For more information, call Brandon Stoakley at (916).570.2806