JOB TITLE: Park Mainenance Worker I
FLSA CLASS: NON-EXEMPT
STATUS: FULL TIME
SALARY RANGE: $31,652-$38,473
The Mission Oaks Recreation and Park District is looking for a motivated individual who possesses the skills necessary to successfully perform the wide variety of tasks required for the Park Maintenance Worker I Position.
Under supervision, performs manual labor and a variety of basic tasks required for the maintenance, repair, and operation of District parks, irrigated landscaped areas, buildings, facilities, and structures.
This is the least-experienced skill classification in the Parks Maintenance Worker series. Incumbents are expected to perform a variety of public works maintenance, repair, and construction assignments under direct supervision, and may work independently completing assigned work tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNTIONS:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Assists with maintenance, repair, and construction of parks, recreational areas, buildings, and other public facilities.
· Operates basic grounds and parks maintenance power equipment.
· Maintains plantings, grounds and structures in District parks.
· Maintains and repairs tools and equipment.
· Performs minor plumbing, masonry, carpentry, and electrical repairs.
· May perform horticultural tasks such as mowing, weeding, and tree removal.
· May prepare and maintain athletic fields and other special-function recreation activity areas.
· Operates a variety of hand-held power equipment, vehicles, and light equipment.
· Washes and vacuums vehicles.
· Performs routine maintenance and repair tasks on vehicles and other power equipment.
· Completes reports and records on computers and hand-held electronic devices.
· Conducts inspections to identify grounds and facilities in need of maintenance and repair.
· Participates in District safety and risk management program.
· Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Common practices, methods, and materials used in park maintenance and construction work.
· Operation and maintenance requirements of various park maintenance equipment and machinery.
· Safety procedures involving common machinery and commonly expected situations encountered in park maintenance activities.
· Basic computer skills.
· The use and purpose of common hand tools used in park building maintenance.
· Operate various machinery and equipment including light trucks.
· Follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
· Work occasionally in an office setting to maintain computerized and written records and reports.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the performance of work duties and responsibilities.
· Appear for scheduled work with punctual attendance.
· Maintain a professional demeanor under heavy workload and stressful situations.
· Perform heavy manual labor duties.
· Work in inclement weather conditions.
· Must be able to stand for long periods and walk without aid.
· Must be able to bend, squat, and kneel.
· Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. using proper lifting techniques.
· Must be able to see clearly in order to drive and operate equipment necessary to completing the job.
· Must be able to work in inclement weather conditions
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
Preferred Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school with diploma or G.E.D. and the ability to read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
Twelve (12) months of maintenance or landscape management experience.
Possession of the category of California Driver’s License required by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles to perform the essential duties of the position. Continued maintenance of a valid driver’s license and compliance with established District vehicle operation standards are a condition of continued employment. Loss of the Class C Drivers License is cause for discipline.
Successful candidates will be subject to pre-employment physical exam and drug screen performed at the District’s expense. Failure on any part of the selection process will result in disqualification and exclusion. Being drug free is a condition of continued employment.
- FLSA status for this position is Non-Exempt.
- Applicants for employment must successfully pass a pre-employment criminal history and background check, a medical examination and/or drug screening, and a have an acceptable reference and employment verification check. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an inclusive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of incumbents. In accordance with the Americans with Disability Act, reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The probationary period for this classification is one (1) year.
To Apply: Interested applicants can apply by submitting a District application and a resume by 8am on Friday, April 9, 2021. Applications and resumes can be emailed to Debra Tierney, Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed or hand delivered to the District Office at 3344 Mission Ave., Carmichael, CA 95608.