This is your place for fun, education and resources through these wild and turbulent times! We are committed to ensuring that our resilient community members have resources to maintain healthy lives. In these challenging times, Our Virtual Recreation Center will bring these programs and resources right to you and your family with the hope of making it easier for you to prioritize your health and well-being!
Visit this page often or follow us on Instagram or Facebook for new updates and ideas to keep you and your loved ones healthy, entertained and informed. Please note that we do not endorse, collect payment on behalf of, or received funds to advertise any of the third-party sites or services referenced on this page.
Have a great idea or resource you’d like to share? Email us at (redacted).
Health and Fitness Activities!
As our daily lives may now allow for more unoccupied time, there are many ways to stay healthy and active.
Here are a few ideas for staying active indoors.
Disclaimer: Individuals should consult their physicians before starting any exercise program or changing their diet to limit risks of injury.
Take a virtual fitness class – there are plenty of free options online. Here are just a few:
- Go for a walk with chalk around the neighborhood and leave positive notes and pictures for others to find.
- Use the American River Nature Trail- it's a great place to escape outside.
- Mission North, Eastern Oak and Gibbons Park all have walking paths.
Keeping your mind active!
It's easy to get lost in the world of video games and television while at home, but it's just as important to stay physically active as it is to stay mentally active! Try these resources to keep your mind sharp.
- Miss Kissinger's Korner YouTube
- Miss Kissinger's Korner Instagram
- Free Spanish Lessons For Kids
- Math Lessons
- Coding Lessons
- Bill Nye The Science Guy
- San Diego Zoo
- Tour Yellowstone National Park
- Busy Toddler Indoor Activities
- Read and Play Games with Dr. Seuss
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Bed Time Math
- Science Spot
- The Happy Scientist
- Climate Kids
- PBS Learning
- Banzai .
- 30 Educational Netflix Shows
- Kennedy Space Center Facebook
- Imagineering in a Box
- Disney Inside the Magic
Use this time to pick up a hobby! Try something new with the links below.
- Learn to How Crochet
- Learn to How Knit
- Learn to How Sew On a Sewing Machine
- Learn to How Hand Sew
- Learn to How Play the Piano
- Give Cooking a Try
- Take Up Baking
- Paint With Bob Ross
- Make a Rug With Loop Yarn
- Hand Sew With Your Kids
- Start Keeping an Indoor Garden
- Learn How to Play Solitaire
- Learn How to Play Spades
- Teach Yourself Origami
- Learn the Basics of Calligraphy
- Go Stargazing
- Consider Whittling
- Learn How to Belly Dance
- Make Some Candles
- Try Your Hand at Macrame
- Start Keeping a Journal
Games and Crafts for Kids:
- DIY Friendship Bracelets for Beginners
- Learn to Tie Dye
- Make a Pinecone Birdfeeder
- Make and Send a Pop Up Card
- How to Make Oobleck
- Make a Lava Lamp Experiment
- Daily Doodle With Mo Willems
- Learn How to Play Cat's Cradle
- Learn How to Play Go Fish
- Learn How to Play Checkers
- Learn How to Play Mancala
- Printable Coloring Pages From Crayola
- Make a Paper Bracelet
- Make Polka Dot Slime
- Laundry Basket Skee Ball
- Make Sock Puppets
- All Kids Network
- Highlights Kids
- Maker Stations
- Nomster Chef
When limiting your physical contact with people, it's important to remember to make and maintain emotional connections. Try a few of these ideas to stay connected with friends and family.
- Write and send a letter to a loved one
- Watch a movie together with Skype or Facetime
- Host a virtual playdate with Skype or Facetime
- Call a friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while
- Take care of yourself; make sure to eat a well balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, and stretch at least twice a day
- Play board games with your family or use facebook to play games with your friends
- Play hide and go seek, charades, and other low contact games
- Set a day to do some spring cleaning with your faimly
- Have a dance party
- Virtual Museum Tours
- Google Virtual Tours
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Cams
- San Diego Zoo Live Cams
- Travel the World With Google Earth
- Watch the International Space Station Live Stream
- Explore Our Solar System With NASA's Eyes