Mission Oaks Recreation and Park District is looking for college students or those interested in careers in education to work in the Bridges After-School Program with elementary and middle school students in the San Juan Unified School District.
We are looking for people who can plan and lead recreation games, assist students with homework, and facilitate enrichment activities. Please do not apply for this position if you are looking for a short-term, temporary position. Building positive relationships with students is critical to the success of our programs and we prefer candidates who are committed. Work schedules are Monday-Friday and hours vary depending on the school sites, but are approximately 10:30 am - 3 pm M/T/TH/F. You can read the qualifications and description for this position below.
Basic academic competency must be demonstrated by providing one of the following: Proof of a passing score on the San Juan Unified School District’s proficiency exam, transcripts demonstrating completion of two years of college (48 semester units/60 quarter units), an AA/AS degree (or higher), or proof of a passing score on the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST).
The position requires passing of a criminal background check and TB test clearance also required.
Education and Experience (Recreation Leader I):
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent; any combination of training, education, and experience which demonstrates the ability to assist in the planning and facilitation of activities in an after school program; Ability to work after school hours and attend occasional evening or weekend meetings/trainings; CPR/First Aid certification desirable.
Recreation Leader I Description:
Under general supervision assists in providing academic support to both large and small groups of elementary, middle and/or high school students. Facilitates assigned enrichment and recreation activities to students and performs miscellaneous related duties. Applicants should have the:
- Desire to work with children
- Ability to lead groups of children in homework assistance, enrichment, and recreation activities
- Ability to facilitate age appropriate and safe group activities
- Maintain professional boundaries with students and staff
- Ability to communicate effectively, take directions, and follow through
- Desire to work collaboratively on a team
- Competency in basic academic skills such as reading, math, spelling, language arts and writing.
- Responsible for leading a daily activity group and keeping participants engaged at all times.
- Responsible for inventory and orderliness of program equipment/supplies/storage areas.
- Prepares the room or space for program each day; has all supplies ready for activities.
- Distribute snack and assist with concessions.
- Maintain records, and complete all reports as necessary in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with and uphold after-school program behavior policies and safety procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, training and workshops.
- Responsible for notifying and reporting any problems or concerns of parents and/or children to the Recreation Coordinator.
- Market program at schools and special events; help to recruit participants.
- Perform other after-school program related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
Ability to work with individuals or groups of children from ages 5 years old and older; Basic knowledge of children’s' games and recreation activities; Effective oral communication skills; Ability to lead physical, recreational and leisure activities; Ability to exercise good judgment; Ability to work independently and constructively contribute to a collaborative team.
Strength, mobility, stamina to bend, stretch, stand, kneel, walk, stoop, lift, carry push or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 30% standing and 50% walking or active.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be at least 17 to apply, with previous experience working with children (volunteer work, babysitting, etc.). Must possess a basic understanding of elementary math and language. Must be fluent in English; Spanish skills a plus.
HOURS AND PAY RATE:
0-20 hours per week
Generally: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 10:30AM – 5:30PM;
(Modified hours for training and other meetings when necessary)
Hourly rate: $14 per hour as of January 1, 2021
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a seasonal position.
State law requires that applicant selected for the position must complete fingerprint process to check for or verify conviction record; TB test clearance also required.
Please submit your application (applications for employment may be found above) to:
Bridges Program Lead
3344 Mission Ave.
Carmichael, CA 95608