Job Title: Recreation Leader – Camp Oak Wood
Reports to: Program Lead
Pay Rate: Pay range starts at $12 per hour
Locations: Swanston Park, 2350 Northrop Ave. Sacramento, CA 95825
The Recreation Leader will be assigned a variable schedule that will typically require 4-6 hours per weekday between the hours of 7:30am and 5:30pm, but schedules and hours will vary based on camp enrollment. Weekend trainings will take place between the hours of 8am and 5pm. Position will start on June 7, 2019 and end August 16, 2019. All camp staff must be available to start work on the first day of camp and have obtained CPR/First Aid Certificate prior to the start of camp.
Job Summary: Responsible for the direct supervision of a group of 4-10 year old children in a summer day camp program. Under the direction of the Program Lead, supervises assigned camp participants and assists with the planning, organizing, implementing, leading and monitoring of Summer Camp activities to provide quality recreational camp experiences for the children enrolled.
- Maintains a sincere interest in providing each child with a positive summer camp experience.
- Assists with the planning, organizing, implementing, leading and monitoring of Summer Camp activities.
- Prepares leads and participates in health and wellness related recreational activities for school-age children such as games, sports, and healthy lifestyle activities .
- Supervises and accounts for assigned participants at the day camp location; ensures sign in and out procedures are followed.
- Demonstrates a positive, courteous and enthusiastic attitude with the children, parents and camp personnel in day to day activities.
- Acts as a liaison between the parents, children, camp staff, Program Lead and Recreation Coordinator.
- Attends all preseason and ongoing staff meetings and training sessions.
- Assists in keeping the camp site neat and clean and all equipment and supplies in good order.
- Follows District policies and procedures.
- Follows safety procedures and renders first aid as required; responds to emergency situations as they arise and follows emergency procedures; assists Program Lead to ensure that accidents and incidents are promptly documented and reported.
- Actively encourage and live the District’s mission.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Communicate, delegate, review, and follow-up on planned recreational activities
- Conduct regular safety checks of your area, and correct hazardous situations immediately
- Desire to work collaboratively on a team
Knowledge, Skill and Experience:
Minimum Education required: High School Diploma or GED preferred. Experience in a children’s day care program or recreational day camp program or equivalent experience in a leadership and program planning role preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required: Knowledge of recreational activities appropriate for school age children. Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, children, parents, and volunteers. Leadership and organizational skills. Ability to use independent judgment and take appropriate action to ensure the safety of children and staff. Ability to deal with emergencies and stressful situations.
- Possession of CPR/First Aid certification prior to the start of Summer Camp.
- All applicants must be fingerprinted and pass pre-employment background check.
- Reliable transportation to and from work.
Physical Job Description:
Typical Working Conditions: Outdoor recreational facilities; frequent public contact; exposure to sun, heat and inclement weather. Schedule may vary.
Equipment Used: Telephone, equipment cart, arts and crafts supplies, and sports equipment.
Essential Physical Tasks: Frequently participates in strenuous physical activities, such as running, sports and other related camp activities, in outdoor locations. Frequent monitoring of children requiring the ability to detect and respond to emergency situations and provide CPR or First Aid as required. Must lift or carry lunchbox containers. Must push or pull the equipment cart.
Physical Demands: Frequently required to lift or carry up to 10 pounds. Occasionally required to lift or carry up to 30 pounds. Frequently required to push or pull up to 30 pounds. Frequently required to walk, run, stand for long periods of time, reach, kneel, squat, sit, and bend while monitoring children and participating in camp activities. Hearing and speech adequate to communicate in person and over the phone. Vision adequate to monitor children and read fine print. Manual dexterity to grasp and hold objects, use fine manipulation, write, and operate telephone.
To Apply: Interested applicants can apply by submitting a District application (found online at morpd.com) by 5pm on Friday, April 12. Applications shall be sent to Nicole Friedrich, Recreation Supervisor (redacted), or they can be hand delivered or mailed by using U.S. Mail, to the MORPD District Office at 3344 Mission Ave., Carmichael, CA 95608.
Questions concerning Camp Oak Wood can be directed to Miranda Nelson, 916-570-2806 or (redacted).