Job Title: Recreation Leader - After School Adventures
Reports to: Program Team Lead and Recreation Coordinator
Pay Rate: $13.00 per hour
Schedule: Seasonal 10-20 hours per week (August 2019-June 2020). Monday-Friday 2:30-6:30PM shifts, Thursday 1:15-6:30PM, occasional weekends. Mandatory Friday staff meetings 1:45-2:30PM.
Location: Swanston Community Center, 2350 Northrop Ave. Sacramento CA 95825
Definition: Under the direction of the Recreation Coordinator and Program Team Lead, the Recreation Leader works with a team to oversee a group of students, assisting with the homework help component and providing enrichment and recreational activities.
- Responsible for leading a daily activity group and keeping participants engaged at all times.
- Responsible for inventory and orderliness of program equipment/supplies/storage areas.
- Prepares the room or space for program each day; has all supplies ready for activities.
- Distribute snack and assist with concessions.
- Maintain records, and complete all reports as necessary in a timely manner.
- Be familiar with and uphold after-school program behavior policies and safety procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings, training and workshops.
- Responsible for notifying and reporting any problems or concerns of parents and/or children to the Program Team Lead and Recreation Coordinator.
- Market program at schools and special events; help to recruit participants.
- Perform other after-school program related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES: Ability to work with individuals or groups of children from ages 5-12; Basic knowledge of children’s' games and recreation activities; Effective oral communication skills; Ability to lead physical, recreational and leisure activities; Ability to exercise good judgment; Ability to work independently and constructively contribute to a collaborative team.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Strength, mobility, stamina to bend, stretch, stand, kneel, walk, stoop, lift, carry push or pull objects weighing up to 30 pounds. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 30% standing and 50% walking or active.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Must be at least 17 to apply, previous experience working with children (volunteer work, babysitting, etc.) is preferred. Must possess a basic understanding of elementary math and language. Must be fluent in English; Spanish skills a plus.
- Possession of the category of California Driver’s license required by the State Department of Motor Vehicles to perform the essential duties of the position. Continued maintenance of a valid driver’s license and compliance with established district vehicle standards are a condition of continuing employment
- Required to have valid and current First Aid/CPR/AED certifications or be willing to receive certification provided by employer
- Perform CA DOJ Livescan process prior to working (fingerprinting)
- Applicants for employment must successfully pass a pre-employment medical examination (TB Test) administered by a county health services department doctor
To Apply: Interested applicants can apply by submitting a District application (found online at www.morpd.com) to Miranda Nelson, Recreation Coordinator at (redacted), or they can be hand delivered or mailed by using U.S. Mail, to the Swanston Community Center at 2350 Northrop Ave. Sacramento, CA 95825.
Questions concerning the Recreation Leader position for the After School Adventures program can be directed to Miranda Nelson, Recreation Coordinator 916-570-2806 or (redacted).