JOB TITLE: Parks Maintenence Worker I
FLSA CLASS: NON-EXEMPT
STATUS: FULL TIME
SALARY RANGE: $28,974-$37,828
Under supervision, performs manual labor and a variety of basic tasks required for the maintenance, repair, and operation of District parks, irrigated landscaped areas, buildings, facilities, and structures.
This is the least-experienced skill classification in the Parks Maintenance Worker series. Incumbents are expected to perform a variety of public works maintenance, repair, and construction assignments under direct supervision, and may work independently completing assigned work tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNTIONS:
Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Assists with maintenance, repair, and construction of parks, recreational areas, buildings, and other public facilities.
· Operates basic grounds and parks maintenance power equipment.
· Maintains plantings, grounds and structures in District parks.
· Maintains and repairs tools and equipment.
· Performs minor plumbing, masonry, carpentry, and electrical repairs.
· May perform horticultural tasks such as mowing, weeding, and tree removal.
· May prepare and maintain athletic fields and other special-function recreation activity areas.
· Operates a variety of hand-held power equipment, vehicles, and light equipment.
· Washes and vacuums vehicles.
· Performs routine maintenance and repair tasks on vehicles and other power equipment.
· Completes reports and records on computers and hand-held electronic devices.
· Conducts inspections to identify grounds and facilities in need of maintenance and repair.
· Participates in District safety and risk management program.
· Performs other duties as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Common practices, methods, and materials used in park maintenance and construction work.
· Operation and maintenance requirements of various park maintenance equipment and machinery.
· Safety procedures involving common machinery and commonly expected situations encountered in park maintenance activities.
· Basic computer skills.
· The use and purpose of common hand tools used in park building maintenance.
· Operate various machinery and equipment including light trucks.
· Follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
· Work occasionally in an office setting to maintain computerized and written records and reports.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted during the performance of work duties and responsibilities.
· Appear for scheduled work with punctual attendance.
· Maintain a professional demeanor under heavy workload and stressful situations.
· Perform heavy manual labor duties.
· Work in inclement weather conditions.
· Must be able to stand for long periods and walk without aid.
· Must be able to bend, squat, and kneel.
· Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs. using proper lifting techniques.
· Must be able to see clearly in order to drive and operate equipment necessary to completing the job.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
Preferred Education and Experience:
Graduation from high school with diploma or G.E.D. and the ability to read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
Twelve (12) months of maintenance or landscape management experience.
Possession of the category of California Driver’s License required by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles to perform the essential duties of the position. Continued maintenance of a valid driver’s license and compliance with established District vehicle operation standards are a condition of continued employment.
Prior to an offer of employment, applicants for employment must pass a criminal background check and will be fingerprinted in accordance with applicable law.
Successful candidates will be subject to pre-employment physical exam and drug screen performed at the District’s expense. Failure on any part of the selection process will result in disqualification and exclusion. Being drug free is a condition of continued employment.
Possession of a valid California Class A Driver License and/or California Class B Driver License with Passenger Vehicle and/or Hazardous Materials endorsements is highly desirable and may be mandatory for some assignments.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an inclusive list of all duties, responsibilities and skills required of incumbents. In accordance with the Americans with Disability Act, reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
To Apply: Interested applicants can apply by submitting a District application (found online at morpd.com) and resume by 5pm on February 15th. Applications and resumes can be emailed to Debra Tierney, Office Manager at (redacted), or they can be hand delivered or mailed by U.S. Mail to the MORPD District Office at 3344 Mission Ave., Carmichael, CA 95608.Park Maintenance Worker I.pdfApplication for Employment.pdf